7.15.2007

Part Six - The lonely way back home


Part Six - The lonely way back home


I thought it was all a storm in a teacup but what could I say? I'm not the easy-going person I wish I were sometimes, besides I really couldn't explore him like that, he was trying to be so nice to me but someday he'd definitely throw it back at me... Or so I thought. We drove half the way in silence. It was so quiet and I didn't have any sound system in my old car which made this silence unbearable. He was a little mad but I could feel the tension vanishing from him as we were getting closer to the pier. I felt I had to do something. If Mr. Ethan Hawke is just as stubborn as myself none of us would even try to fix this situation, ever! So I had to act, quickly. Taking a deep breath as I parked the car turning the engine off and before he'd say anything, I did.


-Okay, sorry about that, can I actually use some of your kindness?


I looked at him completely ashamed of what I made him feel like. The man was really a kind person and I should never doubt about his intentions, at all. He opened his mouth showing he was about to say something but I went on with my little speech after sitting on my legs to look into his eyes properly.

-Wait... Let me continue. I really feel bad for that and you should know that I have this tendency to be suspicious about any and every form of nice gesture any man shows me, you know? I've been the... tough one, from day one and I can't even tell you how many times all these incredible men that showed in my life wanted to kill me for that! I didn't want to make you feel uneasy or... uptight, but that's how I react. But a reaction ain't quite the most... honest thing that could come from me, you know? I can be myself, I, I could really be myself with you, I just gotta know you better, you see?


He was paying attention to every single thing I was saying. He was practically laying on this old Chevy passenger seat, scratching his forehead and following every word I'd say, following each different look in my face and that made me feel comfortable enough to trust him. Now I could say that, I trusted him.

-I know it won't change things but I want you to know I now... trust you.

Silence.

Now I was silent because I ran out of beautiful and touching things to say and because the emotional me that was on had suddenly switched off leaving me with these confusing thoughts that were so familiar and now were about to crush my confidence once again. Ethan was still looking to me, following each movement, each different thing that would happen to my facial features. He wasn't missing a thing.

Suddenly he looked away and that forced me to look away as well. He turned back at me again and fixed the way he was sitting, trying to find a position which made him get closer to me, then he said:

-Iris, come on... It's okay. I think I know what you're saying, but sometimes you gotta just take it easy you know. No one will ever harm you if you don't want them to, you know?

-Yes...
-Just let me do this one thing right for you, you'll see I'm a nice guy, okay?
-Sure...
-Alright then. Here, you'll take my cellphone and you'll call your dad. Quickly because they're probably leaving by now. Do it.

He handed me the phone and I called the airplane company. I finally could speak to my father, telling him he should wait for a guy not me when he finally arrived L.A. airport. He was a bit confused but I told him we should be quick in our chat, after all I didn't want to abuse Ethan's kindness...

I gave the phone back to him and thanked him for that.

-Now I have this amazing story to tell my grandchildren...
-What story?
-The one of this beautiful Hollywood hunk being such a gentleman in such a lonely night as this.
-It wasn't lonely at all, was it?
-Nah.
-It was great. We had quite a laugh in the airport.
-We did. And I had many moral lessons from you!
-Oh Iris! After all I'm older! Let me feel like the responsible dumb ass just for tonight...
-You definitely are.
-Well, you're saying that because you don't really know me.
-Ay... I knew it! You see?
-What?
-I gotta know you better!
-You sure have to.

We both stopped talking and looked away, couldn't face each other any longer. It was late and he finally got his stuff and opened the door stepping out of the car. I went out as well, to say good-bye walking towards him. He pulled me closer holding me and we stayed there for a few seconds. These were the moments I could ask to last a bit longer. By the time we were done, he said bye bye and walked to his car.

I stayed there watching him walking slowly, opening the door and sitting, but it didn't take too long for him to get out again and call my name.

-Iris! Wait. I don't know where I have to take your father tomorrow morning!
-Oh, it's true! Let me write my address to you.

I got a piece of paper from my notebook and wrote my address to him, my phone number and the name of my roommate in case he needed to talk to me and couldn't find me.

-Here it is. I'll leave my spare keys with you so you can give them to my father when you bring him home, okay?
-Now you're trusting me way too much! Ha!
-See? I'm getting better at this. Now, don't you think that all the mess from the condo is mine! My roommate, Freddy is the messy one!
-Freddy... What's his last name?
-Belden. He's British but has lived in L.A. almost his entire life. He's a bit older than me.
-I know that guy. He's good friends with a huge friend of mine, Bob. The one that owns the house you were in the New Year's eve.
-Wow! I didn't know that... But now that you said it, it's all making sense to me...
-What's making sense?
-He gave me your phone number!
-He did? Why? You asked for it?
-No, I did not! He saw us talking that night and he thought it would be a nice gesture, I guess. To bring us closer.

He smiled and put the keys and paper inside his pocket and spoke again.

-Well, now I really must leave.
-Yep, go ahead and thank you again for everything.
-You're more than welcome, go inside your car, I'll wait for you like a gentleman.
-Okay, okay.

I went in, shut the door and waved to him. He went to his car and I left. The way back home was so cold and lonely but I felt better than ever and had all these things to tell him that were stuck in my throat, things that he'd perhaps love to hear. I wish I only had the guts.

Got home and Freddy was already sleeping tight. I went to my bed and didn't even change my clothes.


*pic from here

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Liberté said...

I like Ethan Too!

February 15, 2009 at 5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home